Inspiration & Creativity
We're often asked, "What inspires you?", and after more than 25 years of designing and creating jewelry, we still don't have a standard answer to that question. The truth is, what inspires us constantly changes. We've found inspiration in old black & white movies, architecture, gardens, fashion magazines, museums, doodles, even in our dreams. Inspiration can come at any time and from absolutely anything, you just have to be ready for it.
But, what if you find yourself uninspired and feeling as if you've hit a creative roadblock? That can be super frustrating, and it often leads to feeling even less inspired. And then what?
Well, if you're searching for a creative jump start, check out our top ten tips below and get inspired to begin creating again.
TEN GREAT TIPS TO JUMPSTART YOUR CREATIVITY
Meditate: Sometimes you just need to clear your mind. If you've never meditated and don't know where to start there's some great, free! apps like Headspace or The Mindfulness App, just to name two. Once you've had a chance give your mind a rest, the creativity will start to flow.
- Go for a walk: According to this Business Insider article, spending time outside relieves stress, restores mental energy, improves concentration & sharper thinking, and creativity.
- Doodle: Anything from adult coloring books to free form doodling can open up those creative blocks. Not only is doodling scientifically proven to help concentration, it's fun!
- Read Magazines: Relax with a cup of tea, or a glass of wine, and flip through some of your favorite magazines. You don't always need a mission in mind, just keep an eye out for the possibilities.
- Create a vision board: Sometimes the mere process of putting together a vision board can lead to a spark of creativity. Whether you bust out the scissors & glue sticks or simply gather images online, curating images & ideas then seeing them all in one place can be very inspiring.
- Visit a museum: Check out a local exhibit, art gallery or even a botanical garden. Bring a sketch pad or note book along in case you're hit with a sudden stroke of genius!
- Pinterest: It's no secret that "Pinspiration" is a real thing. Pinterest is an amazing resource but it can also be overwhelming. My advice: Pin with purpose. Create very specific boards, (ex: "Kitchen Islands" as opposed to just "House") so that when you revisit your collections you don't get lost in your own pins.
- Instagram: Another great resource, Instagram is a visual wonderland. Again, you can get lost among all those pretty pictures (and ALL those selfies), so save yourself some time by utilizing the hashtag search to pinpoint exactly what you're looking for.
- Watch: a TedTalk on creativity. It's always interesting, and inspiring, to hear how others find inspiration and success within their own creativity.
- Don't try too hard: Inspiration & creativity can't be forced. If you find yourself struggling, just step away and focus on something else, or revisit tips 1 & 2.